Thursday, September 11, 2014

Fun Activities

I am so much more comfortable when I have previously done an activity.  They are fun activities and I only hope I can continue to find great activities:

I have a small class of alternative math class and we did the marshmallow challenge - 20 pieces of spaghetti, 1 yard of string, 1 yard of masking tape, and 1 marshmallow.  The kids get 18 minutes to work in groups to build the tallest freestanding structure that will support the marshmallow on top.  There is a TED talk about it too, so we watched that afterwards and had some great conversation.  Often, it is difficult to come up with anything that will stay standing but both groups found success.  They made some prototypes along the way and eventually 1 group got it to 17 inches and one got 17.5 inches.  Here are some pictures:




In Algebra I, we were starting problem solving so we did a 3Act - Taco Cart from Dan Meyer using big whiteboards.  The kids did great:

No comments:

Post a Comment