Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Perfect Storm of Testing

I have been straight out working all the time.  This week is no exception.  I choose to do my lesson plans at school and my grading at home.  Right now, I am in the midst of trying to wrap up all my units with quizzes and tests before our December break on Dec. 22nd.  I was getting confused on which classes had tests and quizzes and scaring the poor students by writing TEST on the board and it should have been a quiz.  No wonder I am going crazy, when you put it all together, it looks like this:

Monday: 3 Geometry Quizzes (73 kids)
Tuesday: 1 Algebra 2 Test (23 kids)
Wednesday: 1 Algebra 1 Quiz (25 kids)
Thursday: 3 Geometry Tests (73 kids)
Next Tuesday: 1 Algebra 1 Test (23 kids)

I make it a priority to grade everything that night and get it back to the students the next day so they can get the feedback and learn from what they got correct and incorrect.  So, that is grading 217 quiz/test in a week.

But, there is more than just grading.  Each time I have a quiz or a test, I precede it with a review day.  For the review day, I have a study guide list of what might be on the assessment.  And, then I have either a review game or a review packet, sometimes both.  Then, there is the assessment itself.  I have to update that each year, type it in, take it to check for time/length, make adjustments, and print.  And, I have extra help sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Plus with this being the end of the units, that means all my next units need to be ready to go.  I need to have my unit homework and calendars ready to go.

It's exhausting.

But....on a good note, all my grading will be done by break.  I will start a new unit prior to break in each class so we will have a just about fresh start in January. 

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

No comments:

Post a Comment