Saturday, December 30, 2017

Books read in 2017

I love reading.  I wish I could press pause and just read when I am hooked into a good book.  Yes, there are some that put me to sleep. But, my friends on Twitter always keep me in the know with the latest and greatest and don't steer me wrong. 

Here is my list of 25 books read this year.  I started to journal about them, just writing a little synopsis so I wouldn't forget them, but that stopped a few months in.  Then, I switched over to the notes in my phone and just typed the title and gave them a thumbs up or down.

First the bad...Sorry, just not my style.
These are some I do NOT recommend.

Grasshopper Jungle - do NOT waste your time.  I wasted enough for the both of us.  Just weird, weird, weird.  Unless I intrigued you, then read it.


The Most Dangerous Place in the World - yuck, snooze fest.


The Futures - just weird.


As Simple As Snow - I liked the way the author wrote.  I even liked the characters.  Just didn't like the story line.


Small Admissions - I am counting this has read but I didn't finish it.  Boring.


Now, for the good stuff, in order of how I read them this year:

Victoria - loved it, read it before the series came on and so excited for it to start back up.


Wonder - going to see the movie on Monday.


The Nightengale - a most read.  I thought the movie was coming out at Christmas but it looks like next year now.  Read it before the movie.  What a great story.


Simon vs. the Home Sapiens Agenda - love this!  And, the movie is coming out called Love, Simon and that is a great name for it.  Read this.


The Radius of Us - great, different.


The Circle - 500 pages, I committed, I read it.  I wasn't exactly happy with it but I don't want to spoil anything for you.  I haven't seen the movie yet.  Not sure I want to.


Big Little Lies - great, don't have HBO but watched the first day of the series.


City of Saints and Thiefs - a must - different - not many YA take place in Africa.  Great story. 


The Hate U Give - second time through.  I read it last year and then chose to read it again this summer for our HS summer reading book club.  I follow the author on Twitter and love seeing how the movie is coming together.


I'll Give You the Sun - love!


Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - love this one too!


To all the Boys I've Loved Before - cute, light, easy.


More Happy Than Not - really liked this.  I borrowed from my friend who heard the author speak and really liked it. I bought another book by him called "They All Die at the End" but it was stolen with my backpack so I didn't get to finish it.


The Beautiful List - I honestly do not remember even reading this.  I gave it a thumbs up.  I often read way too fast, I don't remember reading it, hence the attempt at journaling.
(hmmm, can't find a picture of the book.  Maybe it was something else.  Curious? I am still counting it as read).

Turtles All the Way Down - love, love, love!


The Rumor - great - oh, look, not a YA.


Zenn Diagram - cute, mathy, give it a try


Alex Approximately - good


The Nowhere Girls - Our town library recently formed a book club for adults (and students in grades 11 and 12) who enjoy reading YA.  Right up my alley.  I joined it and this was our first book.  I loved it and highly recommend it.  We have our meeting on it on Jan 22nd. I can't wait to chat about it.


I think my first book of 2018 will be Dear Martin.  Not sure what else will follow, but I will break this year's number.  You can see I love books that are going to be made it to movies, so I think I will google that now.

1 comment:

  1. Your list of books read in 2017 is impressive! It's inspiring to see your dedication to reading and the diverse range of titles you've explored. How To Browse The Internet Anonymously Your recommendations and insights are good.

    ReplyDelete