Sunday, January 29, 2017

My #TMC17 Proposals Were Accepted!

The Scenario:  A quiet Saturday night around 9 pm.  I was nestled into my spot on the couch surrounded by 2 dogs and 2 cats.  Boys were in their rooms, sick husband was in bed.  I was reading the book Wonder, so I hadn't stopped to put my pajamas on which is rare.  I had the tv on PBS- old time country music in the background.  I was mostly reading my book, but occasionally took a break to check Facebook and Twitter. 

Twitter was making my heart heavy with all the posts about #muslimban and what was happening at our airports.  I was in disbelief, but starting to realize that unfortunately anything is possible.

I happened to check my school email and voila - an email from TMC that both of my #TMC17 proposals were accepted.  I was so elated.  I wanted to jump for joy but there was no one around to share this with in my quiet little house.  I didn't want to post to Twitter yet to sound braggy about it amidst all the bigger things we are dealing with.

I did see Anna Vance @TypeAMathLand liked the @TmathC post that the emails for acceptances were out.  So, I messaged her separately to see if she was accepted and both of hers were, too.  So exciting.  I had someone to quietly share my success with.  We both decided not to post to Twitter yet, but said our congratulations.

I am so excited and honored to be able to present at TMC17.  Last year was the first year I was able to go and it was the best PD around.  I wanted to jump in and try to present something.  I presented about review games in December to the ATOMIC group of teachers in Connecticut and it went really well, so that one is ready to go.  And, then I also wanted to share my success with #VNPS and #VRG from Alex Overwijk.  I heard him speak about it at Boston's NCTM a few years ago and then lots of talk about it at TMC last year that I decided to dive in.  This will be about my journey into this world of whiteboards.  I love it!  I also love that we are starting second semester tomorrow and knowing that I will be presenting about it, I still have a chance to put it to work in my classroom and continue to try new problems.

I couldn't fall asleep last night because my brain was abuzz with ideas. 

In six months, I will be presenting in Atlanta at #TMC17.  Thank you for choosing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment