Sunday, March 8, 2015

Rice Krispy Cones - conics!

I read this blog by Julie Reulbach last Friday.  Ordered my snowcones from amazon right then.  Got them on Tuesday and made the treats on Wednesday.  Then, we cut them in class on Friday.  Gotta love Twitter for finding great ideas! Thanks Julie.  I shared it with my colleague and we were texting each other back and forth as we were making the treats.  I thought right away - this is not worth it.  What a mess!  My 8th grade son was helping me.  We had a mini production line going as we made 4 batches for a total of 50 cones.  We learned we had to totally butter up our hands before we reached in.  We also let it cool for a few minutes because we were starting to burn off our finger tips.  Nothing like warm, yummy Rice Krispy treats! 

Here are my cones from Amazon.  I originally ordered the 4 oz but then they weren't available so I did these 6 oz which were perfect.  Don't do the smaller ones.

Here is my set up for baking.  We were ready!  Took us about an hour.

Here is one cone:

Here are all my cone babies:

I would recommend doing it the next day.  Ours were a little harder/crispier than I would have liked.  I also used the plastic knives from the cafeteria which were a little weak.  I would recommend quality knives.  Also, put down wax paper because it does get a little messy.  Here is the kids' set up:

Sawing away.  I directed the kids that they had 2 cones and had to cut 4 conics and make sure they thought about the order before they started slicing away.

Here is a circle:

An ellipse:

A parabola:

And, finally a hyberbola...

I think overall, it was a lot of work on my part, but the kids enjoyed it and were appreciative of my effort.  It was a great activity.  I recommend it and I will do it again.


1 comment: