Sunday, September 28, 2014

Two Buck Barbies

It was a beautiful New England Sunday and I wanted to do something, so my husband and I headed to a local flea market.  We hadn't been in about 20 years. 

Time warp, it was the same stuff junk as 20 years ago.  I felt like we were on the set of the TV show The Goldbergs.  Wow, the people were the same, the stuff was the same, just wow. 

We weren't looking for anything in particular and then I saw some Barbie dolls.  I have four sons, but I loved Barbies when I was a little girl.  But, more importantly, I was thinking about my Barbie Bungee lesson.  I did it for the first time last year.  You can read about it here.  It was such a fun lesson.  Barbies aren't cheap though and I cheaped out last year.  I went to Kmart and got two packs of 3 fake barbies for $5.  I did hang a Wanted sign in my room for kids to bring Barbies in, but no one did, so I had to rely on these cheap ones.  It worked, was a great, fun lesson, but their arms, legs, and heads kept falling off and they really didn't have any weight to them.

The flea market today had real Barbies!  I walked by two different vendors who were selling them for $3 each and I passed.  Then, I found some for $2.00, yeah!  I bought 4 of them even though I needed six, so back to the other vendors I went.  While walking a different path, I found one real Barbie in a $1.00 pile.  (Below she is the best one in the big blue gown).  Yeah, grabbed her up.  And, off to find one more.  She was $3.00.  I told the woman that I was a math teacher and what I was doing with her and I must have gotten her flustered because she couldn't make my change.  I gave her a $20 bill for a $3.00 doll.  She had mostly ones and apologized as she gave me a $5 bill and 6 ones.  She said, "Check that and make sure it is right.  I am done to all ones."  I said, "This is only $11," to which she gave me one more dollar.  I politely said, "I need $5.00".  Phew, that was a tough sale, but her are my new real Barbies:


1 comment:

  1. Please ask some of your freshmen students about "Barbie-Q," a story we read earlier this month. It involves Barbie dolls... purchased at a flea market! I can send it to you if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete