Here is what happened:
Some of their explanations included:
Girls who picked math:
- Math is year round
- I am not good at sports, so I will pick math
- Math is easier
- I love repetition
Boys who picked math:
- School comes before sports
- I am not athletic, so math
- I want to be successful and I know I will need math
Girls who picked sports:
- Math is too repetitive
- Sports are interactive and interesting
- You can work towards results you can see
- Sports is doing, math is thinking
Boys who picked sports:
- Sports are social
- Sports are more fun.
- You are outside, active, healthy.
- I rather do hard physical vs hard mental exercising (from a freshman)
- I feel pressure at math but at sports I can be me
NOTE: I will try to get kids more active. Now, how to do it.